Scratching is the natural reaction when your skin itches, whether you're a person or an animal. Although a few seconds of vigorous scratching may feel good initially, raking your nails over your s ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Look around your home. Do you have anything that's potentially poisonous or toxic to your pets? Chances are you do, even if you don't realize it. At Central Animal Hospital, our Scarsdale veterinarians and our team urge all local pet owners to be aware of household hazards in order to avoid potentially life-threatening situations for your animals.
Our emergency vet team treats dogs and cats who have accidentally ingested the following common poisonous or toxic substances:
Sometimes you may catch your cat or dog in the act of consuming something that is known to be toxic or poisonous, in which case you should call your local emergency vet team right away. In other cases, you may not see your pet eat a poisonous substance, but you may notice unusual signs or symptoms such as:
It's better to be safe than sorry, so call with any suspicions or concerns. Accidental pet poisoning can quickly devolve into serious life-threatening conditions including organ failure, seizures, and coma. The earlier you bring your pet in for treatment the better its chances of making a full recovery.
Here are a few things our emergency vet team can provide for your cat or dog in the rare but unfortunate event of accidental poisoning:
It's helpful to you and your pet to stay as calm as possible in such an emergency. Know that our Scarsdale vet team is here to help and answer any of your questions or concerns!
If your emergency occurs after our office hours, please contact The Veterinary Emergency Group. They are located at 193 Tarrytown Road, White Plains, NY 10607 (across from the Greenburgh Police Dept.). Their phone number is 914-949-8779.